There are so many tasty treats to indulge in this Easter, but many can be deadly to our pets. Take a look at these Easter hazards to watch out for and help keep your dog safe during the festivities.

If you believe your dog has ingested any of these hazards, contact your vet immediately.

  1. Easter Eggs

Most Easter eggs are made from chocolate which is highly toxic to dogs. Even small amounts of the chemical ‘theobromine’ which is found in the sweet can cause convulsions, heart problems, and fits.

The darker the chocolate, the more potent the level of theobromine and the more toxic it is to your pet.

Be extra vigilant if attending an Easter egg hunt with your dog and keep your pet on a short lead to prevent them from finding any hidden eggs. If planning your own hunt in the garden, remember where you have hidden each egg and make sure they are all accounted for.

  1. Hot Cross Buns

Hot cross buns contain dried fruits like raisins, sultanas, and currants which are all toxic to dogs. Even a small quantity of dried fruits or grapes are eaten by your pet can cause damage to their kidneys.

  1. Sweets and treats containing xylitol

Xylitol is a sweetener often found in peanut butter and sugar-free sweets. Ingesting something that contains this sweetener can cause a sudden drop in your pet’s blood sugar levels, leading to lethargy, weakness, and even liver failure.

  1. Daffodils and other spring bulbs

Daffodils and spring flowers are a great Easter gift but make sure you keep them out of reach of your dog. Daffodils, in particular, can prove deadly if your dog eats the blubs or flowers, or drinks the water from the vase containing the stems. Take a look at our past blog for more information about garden safety.

  1. Easter basket fillers

Little toy chicks and plastic grass are a great way to decorate Easter baskets and bonnets but keep away from dogs. The tiny pieces of plastic and strands of grass can cause obstructions in your dogs’ digestive system if ingested.

If you believe your pet could have eaten anything poisonous or toxic, you should call your vet immediately and seek medical attention for your pet.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

clear formPost comment