Warmer weather and lighter days means being able to spend more time outside with your dog! Whether you’re planning on going for more walks in the countryside or sprucing up the garden so you can enjoy a book in the sun with your pooch, there are a few things you need to know.

Unfortunately, many of our favourite springtime flowers can be highly toxic to our pets. If you think your cat or dog has ingested something potentially toxic in the garden then you should contact your vet straight away!

To help prevent any accidents, take a look at our tips below and make sure you’re aware of the potential hazards in a spring garden.

  • Plant pet-safe plants and find out which ones to watch out for

Many of our favourite flowers and bulbs for spring are toxic to our cats and dogs. Lilies, daffodils, tulips and begonias are just a few that can harm your pet and should never be planted in a pet owner’s garden. Instead, find pet-safe plants such as marigolds and African violets to bring springtime colour to your garden. For a full list of unsafe plants and bulbs, take a look at the Blue Cross charity website here.

  • Watch out for garden products!

Using products such as mulch, weed killer and snail bait is sometimes a necessity for your garden, but unfortunately these products can become a hazard to your pet.  Cocoa mulch and metaldehdye and iron based snail baits and killer are extremely toxic and even deadly to animals if ingested. If not used correctly, weed killers and insecticides can cause harm so always read the label before purchasing or using these products.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

clear formPost comment